From the GREAT STATE OF MAINE…
Presidents’ Day Quiz
Normally our annual quiz is a hodgepodge of POTUS trivia. But in light of recent events, this year’s is a little more, let’s say, focused. Good luck.
1. “There’s no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons” was said by which president?
A) Wilson B) Hoover C) Reagan
2. Which president resigned as a Life Member of the NRA after Wayne LaPierre shot his big mouth off by calling federal law-enforcement agents “jack-booted thugs”?
A) Clinton B) Bush Sr. C) Kennedy
3. Who was president when NRA head Karl Frederick said in 1938: “I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses.”
A) Jefferson B) Taft C) FDR
4. Which president wrote: [T]he NRA has been able to mislead many gullible people into believing that our weapons are going to be taken away from us, and that homeowners will be deprived of the right to protect ourselves and our families. There are no real threats to our “right to bear arms,” as guaranteed by the US Constitution.
A) Carter B) Ford C) Obama
5. Which president rescinded a previous president’s order that, according to AP, would have kept 75,000 people with mental disorders from being able to purchase a firearm?
A) Bush Jr. B) Trump C) Nixon
6. Which president signed a gun control bill into law, but blamed the gun lobby for watering it down, saying: “The key to effective crime control remains, in my judgment, effective gun control. And those of us who are really concerned about crime just must, somehow, someday, make our voices felt. … We have been through a great deal of anguish these last few months and these last few years, too much anguish to forget so quickly.”
A) Truman B) LBJ C) Clinton
7. Which president called guns “an abomination” and also called for licensing of all hunting rifles and a ban on handguns—but only after he’d left office?
A) Nixon B) Eisenhower C) T. Roosevelt
8. Who called on Congress to restore the ban on military-style assault weapons and enforce a 10-round limit for magazines because the combination of assault weapons and high-capacity clips “has one purpose: to pump out as many bullets as possible, as quickly as possible…using bullets often designed to inflict maximum damage”? (Republicans ignored his call to action.)
A) Clinton B) Carter C) Obama
Answers to the questions are C, B, C, A, B, B, A, C. The answer to getting Republicans to stop sacrificing our kids on the alter of the gun industry, as usual, escapes me.
Cheers and Jeers starts below the fold…